When can your partner access the benefits of Australia’s health care system? Medicare. In some cases, you can apply when your application for permanent residency has been lodged.
The Department of Human Services (DHS) is responsible for deciding when people are eligible for Medicare benefits. The Australian Government is working to have its departments sharing as much information as possible; this makes the process easy to navigate.
How does DHS access my partner’s visa information?
This happens right at the beginning of the process. The Department of Human Services can access information electronically as soon as Medicare enrolment begins.
Sometimes, data is not available electronically. If this happens, then DHS tends to talk directly to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. One of the ways this happens is through VEVO, which is a real-time visa status check.
What are the criteria for Medicare enrolment?
Generally speaking, you must:
• be an Australian citizen, or
• be a permanent resident of Australia, or
• have applied for a permanent residency visa, or
• have permission to work in Australia, or
• can prove that you are in a relationship with a citizen of Australia.
Holders of some temporary visas may also be eligible.
Some parent visas may be excluded.
How does enrolment in Medicare work?
It’s important to prepare all of your documents just in case your electronic visa records are unavailable. Good preparation is key if you want everything to run smoothly.
Documentation may include:
• a completed Medicare enrolment form, which you can get on the DHS website
• travel-related documents (like passports or ImmiCards) for everyone that needs to be covered by Medicare
• any information you have received from DIBP that will help to confirm the status of your visa.
What sort of things will help to confirm my visa status?
The types of documents you can use to support and confirm your visa status include:
• a letter acknowledging that your permanent residency visa application has been lodged. It must include the names of all of your family members.
• a letter (received by post or email) confirming your visa. The letter must have the names of everyone in your family on it.
• a print-out, screen grab, or email from VEVO.
Medicare May Require Additional Information
As with any government program, you will need to be able to prove your identity. So, having proof of identity documents on hand will be important.
Medicare may also want other documents to support your enrolment application. This might include information about your relationship with an Australian or Australian resident, information about permission to work in Australia, and more besides.
How To Contact Medicare?