How To Register Your Relationship In Australia

Visa For Two - New South Wales

When you are applying for certain visas in Australia and cannot satisfy the 12 month DeFacto requirement, you may wish to consider registering your relationship. Registering your relationship is an easy and inexpensive way to formalise your de facto status and formally express your commitment to each other.

There are benefits for immigration purposes which means you will not have to satisfy any other criteria in order to evidence that you are in a defacto relationship.

If you wish to include your partner in one of the following visas and do not meet defacto criteria, registering with a State or Territory in Australia may be an option to consider.

• Permanent visas

• Business Skills (Provisional)

• Student visas

• Partner visas In Australia (820/801 or 309/100)

• General Skilled Migration visas

It is important to register your relationship at the right time if you are planning to submit a partner visa application; ensure your relationship timeline meets the criteria.

How Do I Register Our Relationship In NSW | New South Wales

Provided at least one partner resides in NSW, you can apply to register a relationship in NSW.

You may apply by po​st, in person or online to register a relationship​​

The NSW Relationships register commenced operation 1 July 2010. It provides legal recognition for a couple, regardless of their sex, by registration of the relationship.


Adults who are in a relationship as a couple, regardless of sex, can apply for registration of their relationship, provided at least one of them lives in NSW. Adults in both heterosexual and same-sex relationships are eligible to register.

A relationship cannot be registered if either person is: